mardi 8 mars 2011

Step-By-Step / The Begginer's How-to build a GunPla.

I've been talking about it for quite a while now...

Well, last night, I finalized it!

This is my Beginner's How-To-Build a GunPla. I tried to build this article as easy to understand as possible, since I've been building GunPla for a while now, and this whole model only took me approximately 5 (give or take) hours to complete. No long or exhaustive paneling with Gundam markers. Just basic sticker job. The model I've used it the MSN-001A1 Delta Plus. It's a HG model with a 1/144 scale. I do think it's the right size for beginners since MG and 1/100 scale models can be sometime tricky. The suit is from the 3rd episode of Gundam UNICORN that haven't been released yet...I won't make any comments on that....Oh, and if you look for that models, the folks at BIG PFEIFFER will be more than happy to find you one! That's where I got mine!

So let's begin!
First, I always get all my tools that I think I might need on my work table. I hate to look for stuff when I'm working on a model.
The tools every GunPla builder should own are :
1-Cutter (to get the pieces out of the sprues)
2-Modelling/X-acto knife to get rid of all the plastic leftovers and flashes on the pieces)
3-Hand drill (Sometime, breaks occurs, you have to fix them!)
4-Metal rod (tiny ones, in order to fix the breaks)
5-Gundam Markers (I own about 10 to 20 of those, in various colors and shape, but at least 2 fines ones and one basic kit are a must!)
6-Eraser (Instead of using Cotton swaps, I do find it works better, and it's environment friendly too!)
7-Semi-gloss coating (I use Purity Seal from the Games Workshop line, but ask your own hobby shop about what they have in stock. Some are not recommended for plastic!)
Personally, I prefer to empty the whole box on my work desk. Then I can figure out if by any mistake from the company I'm missing any sprues or pieces.
Every sprue is lettered (A,B,C,D1,D2,ABS,.....). I spread them in alphabetical order so when I look for a specific piece, I do save a lot of time and stay away from any headache!
I try to work as much as possible on the instructions, so I don't have to look away when I'm working on a difficult articulation or something I didn't understand on the first glance.
So that's how the first step usually look, with a quick glance at the instructions. I've seen people in the past complain about the instructions, saying they were in Japanese or hard to understand. I'm assuming everybody here built at least one Lego kit in his/her childhood. Seriously. It's the same. The exact same thing, if not easier since you have clue about where to find the pieces since they're all labeled on the sprues (A12,B4,E2,ABS 22,...).
That's how I work. Piece by piece, taking my time removing all the small plastic leftover with the modelling knife. GunPla's are snap-assembly kits, so any leftovers from the sprue won't allow the pieces to fit together as they're expected. And be careful with the knife! They always have sharp blades!
That's what the body looked like after finishing the part 1 and 2 of the kit. The instructions follows a step-by-step concept, so it's hard to screw up!
When I'm assembling any of the legs or arms or the GunPla, I always try to build both at the same time. I hate building legs (you probably read about that in a previous post) and building them in pair make me stay focus and keep me on track. I often get side-tracked while building legs. And it does also shorten the time! Here's the example for the arms.
Sometime, the instructions won't tell you to put the arms in place until the end of the kit. I understand that, but I like to see the progress, so since I've started building kits, I always installed the shoulders and the arms as soon as possible. But that's a personal preference!
So, that's what my work desk looks like after close to half the kit build. It does get pretty messy quickly. Usually, once the upper body is done, I put some order in the sprues. The worst part is about to start.
Like I was saying earlier, I hate building legs. Don't ask me why, I don't know. I just hate it. I'm using the same procedure that I was using earlier to build the arms, building both legs at the same time in order to identify clearly which one is the right leg and the left leg. HG 1/144 models are fairly easy once you get used to building GunPla, so don't get fooled. It can be tricky sometime!
Once the legs and the waist are built, I put the whole thing together, and that's were I usually start putting the stickers for the legs and arms. Here, only the white exhausts on the legs needed stickers (other than the eyes or the sensors on the head).
The MSN-001A1 Delta Plus is a direct descendant from the ZETA Gundam. And just like the ZETA, the Delta Plus have wing and can be converted into a Wave Rider mode. I won't show or discuss the transformation process, but I'm letting you know that the whole thing is possible!
And that's what the model looks like when it's fully assemble. Isn't it wicked?
More pictures of the model with a different angle. I didn't took any picture on a base since I was slowly getting tired and had to go to bed soon. Why don't you build the model yourself and send me your best action pose? Load a picture of your best pose on Photobucket and post the link in the comments. I'd like to see those!
The grand finale?

Here's what I've started on my desk once I've cleaned what was left of the Delta Plus. You know what it is? Come on folks! It's the AV-98 INGRAM from PATLABOR! YES! The one with the flashing police light. I'm starting it tonight!

The Social Geek.









Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire