lundi 6 décembre 2010

My Sci-Fi "Must Read" Booklist.

Earlier today, I was talking to my good friend Dave. I just discovered that he started reading books that I loved. I'm all about Science Fiction. I can read anything, but if I have to choose, I'll go for Science Fiction first. It gave me the idea to create a list for you. A list of what every geek should read before they die.

To me, all of those books are masterpieces. Some can be considered as classics, other only have been on the shelves for a couple year.

Enough of that.
Let's start the list!

Frank Herbert's Dune Saga.
-It's a must. The original 6 books. You can't be a real if you haven't read those!

Brian Herbert's & Kevin J. Anderson's Dune Prequels and Sequels.
-The Houses trilogy, the Genesis trilogy, the 2 sequels to Dune(SANDWORMS/HUNTERS of Dune) and the 2 books they wrote to fill the blanks in the story (PAUL/WINDS of Dune). Those book complete the universe Frank Herbert created with such brilliance, they're all a must-read!

Isaac Asimov's Foundation Saga.
-Do I really have to talk about Mr. Asimov?

David Weber's SAFEHOLD saga.
-The guy wrote the Honor Harrington novel. Never been a fan. By my own opinion, the SAFEHOLD saga (Off Armageddon Reef/By Schism Rent Asunder/By Heresies Distressed/A Mighty Fortress) is his masterpiece. I can't wait for the conclusion. I'll probably read them all again before starting the 5th book in order to get back into it!

Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (and sequels).
-DON'T PANIC! The kind of humor Douglas Adams is using in those books made me smile the whole time I was reading them. And remember, always carry a towel with you!

Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers.
-Don't ever mention the movie(s) in front of me. EVER! Heinlein's book talks about something deeper than aliens, titties and big gun. It speaks of serving the greater good, sacrifice and what's wrong in today's society. It was written in the 70's but does make a lot of sense right now.

Joe Haldeman's The Forever War.
-This book is seen by a lot of people as a direct answer to Starship Troopers. The author denies it, but I still feel like those two books are always going to be adversaries. The book is like a narration from a pacifist that got dragged into a war.

Max Brooks' World War Z
-Not really a Sci-Fi book. But it's such a great one! Great view of what the world would look if zombies would hit!

Right now, there's too many books. I'll stop here for now and make a part 2 later.

Enjoy.

The Social Geek.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire